Sign up for more with a complimentary subscription to Today’s General Counsel magazine.
High Stress, Greater Reward For Public Health Care General Counsel
August 30, 2023
According to BarkerGilmore’s 2023 Healthcare and Life Sciences In-House and Compliance Compensation Report, general counsel at public healthcare companies make twice as much as their private company counterparts at every revenue stage due to the long-term incentives they receive.
Trends revealed by the report include:
- Median total compensation at private healthcare companies is $325,000, compared to $400,000 at public companies
- Total compensation at private life sciences companies is $431,000 versus $478,000 at public companies;
- Credentials such as law school rank and law firm experience have a big impact on total compensation across all positions regardless of company type, or company revenue
- Life sciences compensates more than the healthcare industry. General Counsel at life sciences companies are a little more likely to report to the CEO than healthcare GCs. They are also more likely to serve as CCO and Corporate Secretary
- The booby prize for healthcare General Counsel? They are more likely to be responsible for government affairs.
Share this post: